Image Map

Friday, September 12, 2014

Discussion: When an awesome book temporarily ruins all other books.

You know that feeling when...
you finish a wonderful book....



 and go to start a new one and just can't?



Like, you had a pile of books you were fully planning on reading next and suddenly none of them look appealing anymore? 

You just stare at your shelves that are literally OVERFLOWING with books but you just can't bring yourself to feel interest in any of them?




Poor things... it's not their fault...




It's just that the book you just closed... it was SO satisfying. It had everything you wanted. You were so invested in the story. You became friends with the characters. Not it's over and there is a hole. A missing piece you didn't even no was there until it was full for a few hours/days while you were reading. And you're left missing these characters like they were truly your friends.



The latest book to do this to be? Brazen. I seriously had three books I was planning to read following it and now I have no interest. 



Other books that have done this to me:

-The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
-Just One Day by Gayle Foreman
-The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher
-The Harry Potter series
-On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Has this ever happened to you? How long does this feeling usually last for you? And do you have strategies to deal?


10 comments:

  1. Okay, so basically I HAVE to read Brazen now, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I hadn't heard of Brazen, but it sounds AMAZING. I totally know the feeling...it's why I've put off reading some books, even. I felt that way after finishing Julie Kagawa's Immortal Rules series. Once you get attached to characters, it's hard to let them ago. I sometimes just read a detox series to like...detox. Like a fun book that I know isn't emotionally devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes almost hate it when that happens because I really do think it is harsh on the next book. I am sure many books I would have liked more but didn't had to do with reading a spectacular book before it.

    I will have to check the ones on your list out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has definitely happened to me, but it's not common. I find that usually I move right onto other books, no matter how I was feeling about the last one. But every once in a while there's that book that bowls you over and makes you not even interested in those other books. Yay! Guess I need to read Brazen now!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brazen was so good, I agree! Though I think Tarnish is still my favorite of the three.
    And yeah, there are definitely books I wish I could keep reading forever :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  6. This doesn't happen to me often, but it definitely has! I haven't read Brazen, but obviously I should .:) Most recently, it happened when I read Outlander. Nothing was good enough! For me, I read a couple of things (slooowly) and after a week or two, the feeling faded. I still get all giddy thinking about the book, but I can enjoy other things too. :)

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly whats happened to me with Outlander. All I can think about is the books and show. I'm on the second now, and everything else looks meh to me. I do have friends who are obsessed with Outlander who say The Bronze Horseman is equally awesome.

    I'll have to five brazen a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Outlander, but I can say that The Bronze Horesman is the BEST book I've ever read. My all-time favorite.

      Delete
  8. Oh goodness all the time! This just happened with I Am the Mission by Allen Zadoff and with The Evolution of Mara Dyer earlier this year. *stares at wall for days
    Olgia @ Orange Owls & Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think this happens on purpose, but if after reading enough really good books, the bar is raised. So mediocre books are even more upsetting because I know there are gems out there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...