Image Map

Monday, December 3, 2012

Book Review: What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Title: What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
Series: Stand-Alone
Finished on: November 30, 2012
Released: May 10th 2011 by Viking Juvenile
Source: Library E-book
Rating: 4/5

Summary from Goodreads:
Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.

Combining Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.
 Another amazing story from Sarah Dessen. I was so excited to read this because it was the only currently released Dessen book I hadn't finished yet. I wasn't disappointed, though I really missed the romance!

What Happened to Goodbye mainly focuses on McClean's relationships with her family and not so much her romantic relationships, but Dessen does this wonderfully and creates a very touching story.

All of the characters are great. I especially loved McClean's dad and you can tell that he is trying his best for her. And yes, I even liked her mother, because even though Katherine Hamilton can be very annoying, you can't help but love Katie Sweet. Of course we have the boy: Dave Wade- cute and sweet and a complete genius and has a tattoo. Ellis, Heather, and Riley are his quirky cast of friends who quickly become McClean's friends, also. We get Deb, who should probably just get her own book. She was hilarious and an awesome character. Finally, we get the restaurant crew, a crazy and eclectic mix. This book definitely stands out as a wonderfully character-driven story.

Not one of my absolute favorite Dessen novels, but definitely near the top. We get all the fantastic qualities that her best stories possess. If you're looking for a cute YA contemporary, What Happened to Goodbye is a must.


2 comments:

  1. I actually haven't read any of her books yet, but I hear a lot about them. I do have a book on the shelves (Dreamland), so I will take a look at it soon. Lovely review! :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review!! I liked this one too... but definitely NOT my favorite Dessen book. I wished Mclean and Dave weren't so much in the friend-zone and then maybe I would've liked it better.

    Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...