Image Map

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Book Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Finished on: November 12, 2012
Released: January 3rd 2012 by HarperCollins
Source: Kindle/Purchased


Summary from Goodreads:
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.
I don't know why I didn't enjoy this as much as so many others; I just couldn't get sucked in the same way I do with the stories that I love. That's not to say I didn't like this one, because I did, it just took awhile to get there. I almost gave up in the first few chapters because I couldn't figure out what was going on or get a clear picture of this world in my head. After reading a huge amount of good reviews, however, I decided to push on. And about 100 pages in things started to come together. It is very unique and sets itself apart from a lot of the other books in the genre which was a good thing. But that could have contributed the fact that I had a harder time picturing this world.

By the time Roar came in I began to get into the story. I really liked Roar almost better than any of the other characters. Because of this I'll probably be reading Roar and Liv. Let's make this clear: Veronica Rossi's writing style is very good and I'll definitely give more of her work a chance. The rest of the story was enjoyable and I read though it pretty quickly, though it was more predictable than a lot of books I've been reading lately. I've become accustomed to moments of "OMG what?" and this one just didn't have that for me. I even noticed myself going for a few pages reading the words but thinking about things outside the story.

What we do learn about this world is really quite interesting and the last third of this book would probably rate higher for me. I am interested in Aria and Perry's relationship, too. So for these reasons I won't hesitate to pick up the next installment. It was my emotional response after finishing the story that influenced my rating. I turned off my Kindle and began my next book without needing to think about what I just read or the characters anymore. But that's just me so anyone who's been wanting to read this one for awhile should definitely read it and for anyone who's been on the fence about it, I say give it a try! 
Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...