Image Map

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Series: Delirium #1
Finished on: September 3, 2012
Released: February 1, 2011 by HarperTeen
Source: Local public library ebook

[add the Goodreads]

Summary from Goodreads:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
First off, Lauren Oliver's writing is beautiful. Poetic and perfectly detailed. I found myself wanting to read slower, to allow myself to fully savour every word and every eye-opening passage.

I originally picked up this book because the premise sounded extremely intriguing. I was not disappointed. While slow at a few points, there where also moments where I was left wondering what the heck just happened. Another one that left me thinking about it even in the moments I wasn't reading.

Oliver made it so easy to feel exactly what the main character, Lena, was feeling. The stress, confusion, fears, falling in love... all of it. Connecting with Lena and her world was effortless.

Warning: the ending left me in shock! I am SO grateful I was able to get my hands on Pandemonium two days later. I am definitely completed captivated by this series.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...